Saturday, 18 February 2012

Junk Mail

Junk schmunk. Quite why I am not allowed to leap down the phone fibreoptics/letter box and tear these bastards limb from limb is beyond me. I would also quite happily eat the livers of the virus spammers and slutbots that infest Twitter, and as for the arsebiscuits who send me offers of large penises (no thanks, my inbox is already full of cocks), why don't they just die? E-mail spam especially pisses me off, because those invites to hook up for local sex and dodgy porn links could be going to a kid for all they know. My filth-filter settings are tighter than a gnats chuff, but this crap still gets through. It's infuriating.

I have a pathological hatred of unsolicited communications of any kind. I don't care if it's posted, emailed, phoned, texted or tweeted at me. I sign up to the TPS, MPS and always tick the do not share details/no further contact box. I share what I want to share. My privacy settings reflect that. 123 people got a giant rocket up their arses when I found my details on their pages, despite locking and hiding various accounts and being ex-ex-ex directory. If I want to share the size of my placenta, I'll post it, but if you call me to ask about it, I will pheeeeeep my antique police whistle at you (if I remember, which is unlikely, but hey. The thought is there).

A company (we'll call them Shite) claiming to be calling on behalf my provider (we'll call them Arse )called my mobile, and asked for me by name to try an hawk me insurance for my ArseBox; As my contact settings are email only, I was furious at this seeming breech of data protection. Googling indicated that Shite are scammers, and subsequent calls and mails with Arse confirmed this for me when they told me that they had never heard of this scampany, and that they were acting illegally. I did ask Arse how Shite could have got my details as A) only Arse had my name/mobile number B) Shite asked for me by name, not by Mrs-Smith-Fishing, and C) all my investigations pointed towards Arse customers only getting called by Shite. I said you either have a serious security breech, or this Shite scampany are blatantly misrepresenting and illegally obtaining details... Arse told me they take security very seriously, and that Shite were acting outside the law, and I should report them to the TPS. 

Duly noted. I have.

When I went to Shite's website to get an address to pass on to Trading Standards, my antivirus flashed up a red warning to tell me it had blocked a serious trojan threat. Nice. So not ONLY do Shite seem to illegally get our details, lie to us about who they are when they bother us and try to scam money out of us, they also have a nasty virus attack dog. Double nice. Which is why I shall be reporting them to the fraud squaddy people and Trading Standards as well. 

You might think I get too wound up by all this. Possibly. It made me spit blood before, due to wasted trees/intrusive telephone calls at fuck'o'clock/invites for sex in my spam folder. Being stalked and harrassed made me dread the phone ringing, or the text alert pinging, or the letterbox flapping even more. But it boils down to several things...

Our home is our castle. That sign on the letterbox that says 'No Junk Mail' means you. Don't think that your brochure of 99p shop quality housewares at Harrods prices isn't unsolicited junk - it is. Especially when I've asked you to not post it again. Your overpriced cosmetics brochure is junkmail, your junkFOOD menus are junkmail, and you may also NOT ring my bell to try and sell me your religion or ask me for my bank details to save the doggies. (Much less give me crap when I say "no thank you". I support the charities I want to support, not the ones some cock in a tabard chuggers me for) Our homes are our castles and I often wish we were still allowed to chuck boiling oil over the ramparts. Companies and charities that invade me get to go on my eternal shitlist.

I hate phone calls. Signing up to the TPS has cut most of them, but the amount of companies who disregard this is rising, and they are breaking the law in doing so. When the phone rings at stupid'o'clock as well as panicking that Batesy has found me, I also get terrified that something awful has happened to a loved one. I'm TPS and ex-ex-ex directory so I don't get this crap. Who the funting cuck do you think you are to circumvent this?

Elderly and infirm people are being conned and scammed by these telemarketeers, and sometimes hounded and harrassed. Is that right? Is it right that our grandparents are being terrified by the sound of the phone because these slimy soul sucking scam bastards won't leave them alone? Various charities and organisations don't think so. The government shouldn't think so either, and should ban all forms of unsolicited calling, and make NOT sharing details the default. And charities aren't innocent - I know of several vulnerable people who have been pressured by all the mailshots and end up living in poverty because of all their charity DDs.

The electoral roll. I'm sorry, but how is it right that any company, for any reason, can target you via the edited electoral roll THAT THEY BUY? Do you know about the 'edited' electoral roll? Or that you can opt out of appearing on  it? How is that acceptable? Why aren't we kicking arse about this? Because the more you look into it, the more shitty it gets.

If you STILL aren't as furious as I am about all this then just think on this;
If these people are able to get hold of names and numbers, with or without you taking steps to prevent it - then what other personal details of yours are they getting?


5 comments:

  1. Darling Mrs Miggins. I love you. I know I do cos I've just read most of your posts. And I will continue to read them. I share your anger at the things that are not right and whilst I can't share the pain, as a mother of three, I can almost (but not quite) start to imagine.. but then I have to stop.

    Incidentally, I love orange but you should go into layout and reduce the width of this page so I can read the whole page. Just a suggestion - made in a kindly way. You can, of course, just tell me to piss off and I would understand. And probably laugh.
    Axxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. :o)

    Thank you for the advice, my first ever comment, and for making me laugh into a tenamoment! xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are an angel! Thank you - makes reading even more pleasurable - specially the swearing. Axxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and I too had a wonderful Grandpa, who made chocolates and didn't mind what I did or how as long as it felt right to me. And I was a bookseller for many years. Just so you know who is reading your blog. (I have lots of filthy dreams but so far, none have included Terry Wogan...)

      Delete
  4. I would LOVE to sell books, how lovely. Though I would end up reading them all simultaneously and covering them in coffee and dribble...

    ReplyDelete